How To Protect Your Identity
How To Protect From Identity Fraud
1. Request a credit report often and continue to monitor it. You can sign up with the three major credit bureaus to be notified of any unusual activity.
2. Avoid giving out your Social Security number. Only a few places have the authority to ask for your Social Security number—your employer, the Department of Motor Vehicles, the police, welfare services, the IRS, and institutions that handle taxes.
3. Make sure you’re receiving your bills each month. If you end up missing one, find out why and follow up to make sure charges are appropriate.
4. Review all your credit card statements. Notify the company immediately oif there are discrepancies.
7. Box junk mail. Use the Direct Marketing Association to help you stop receiving mailings (https://www.dmachoice.org/MPS/).