DEWALT Cordless Drill Driver DC720KA
Recently I had a DEWALT drill burn out after many, many years of service. I called my friends at DEWALT and asked them if they were interested in doing a “post mortem” on this tool.
Last may I was lucky enough to be invited to DEWALT’s 12 volt media event at the Black and Decker University in Towson, MD. It was there that I learned that DEWALT will periodically seek out old broken tools and look for reasons the tool failed. They then take the information gleaned and try to improve on their product.
DEWALT accepted my offer and I thought that was it. A few weeks later I was pleasantly surprised to see a newer generation drill had arrived in the mail to replace my old one. Very classy DEWALT!!
I loved my old drill so I was anxious to get this new drill working and give you some feedback on it.
The DC720 is a nice, compact, balanced drill driver that stands up to the rough handling that a job site tool encounters. The DC720 has a hard, mid-handle rubber grip provides for a comfortable feel with and without gloves. Having a sure grip is important consideration when you account for greasy, dirty or sweaty hands while using the tool.
This drill/driver weighs an easy-to-manage 4.8 pounds and features a convenient LED for visibility. A 1/2-inch, single-sleeve ratcheting chuck, which works to reduce bit slippage.
This model has plenty of power and torque to handle a variety of tasks that make a cordless drill an absolute toolbox necessity. The 18 volt batteries provided good, steady power through sequential, repetitive use and hold a charge well, even in cold weather storage.
The DEWALT DC720KA 18-Volt 1/2-Inch Cordless Compact Drill/Driver’s high-performance, frame-less motor is capable of delivering a maximum of 410 unit watts out, translating to performance in a broad range of applications. The drill/driver also features dual-range, variable-speed control–from 0 to 500/0 to 1,700 rpm–that makes material-specific performance easier to achieve.
DEWALT DC720 Cordless Drill PROS:
- Addition of light in handle allows for better placement in tight locations.
- Plenty of torque to allow drilling and driving through dense, wet materials, such as pressure treated wood.
- Chuck less feature allows for quick change capability.
- A 45 – 60 min charge time for battery, with supplied backup battery, adequate for both contractor and homeowner alike.
DEWALT DC720 Cordless Drill CONS:
- This is a good size tool with a lot of power. Although well balanced, the weight of unit does cause some fatigue with repetitive use. I recommend this tool for contractors that need continuous, heavy duty power. Homeowners should consider the 12 volt line.
- No side clip to allow for attachment to work belt. Since most contractors are utilizing cordless equipment while on staging and ladders, this would be a welcomed addition to this tool as it is too bulky to place inside your pouch comfortably and must be hand held while not in use, and while climbing.
- No room in case provided, to store bits. This hard shell case provided, holds the tool, spare battery and charger well, but does not provide enough room to carry essential bits in it. This requires a second case that adds to the bulk and lessens the ease of use.
- The DC720 comes with two long-life 18-volt Ni-Cad batteries. I would like to see lithium-ion technology used.
The DEWALT DC720 Cordless Drill is a work horse. It is a powerful, heavy duty drilling tool. I would recommend this tool for the contractor and the serious DIYer that does serious drilling functions. The DC720 provides plenty of performance to handle whatever task it encounters. This tool is well made and seems to be able to stand up to normal wear and tear without failing to perform.
This 18-Volt 1/2-Inch Cordless Compact Drill/Driver Kit comes with a DEWALT warranty package that includes a three-year limited warranty, a one-year free service contract, and a 90-day money-back guarantee.
Where to Buy:
The DEWALT DC720 is available at most hardware and tool suppliers and online here: DEWALT-DC720KA-Cordless-18-Volt-Compact