Cleaning A Wood Deck
Many people ask what is a good way to safely clean a wood deck? What is the best sealer to use once I have finished?
Many people think that using a pressure wash on their deck will re vitalize the wood. What they don’t understand or know is that a high pressure stream of water will errode and can ruin a deck and introduce moisture problems as well.
Deck Cleaning Preparation
Wood deck surfaces need to be cleaned and sealed to keep them in good condition. I recommend a wood bleach cleaner.
I’ve had excellent results by using a wood bleach. My lumberyard stocks a product called Oxallic Wood Bleach. This powdered product when mixed with water is an excellent cleaner.
I mix the powdered wood bleach with warm water and apply it with a bristle brush, letting it sit for 10 minutes then scrubbing the deck clean. Start with a wet deck and rinse with a garden hose.
As far as sealing the deck the best sealant is something that will penetrates into the wood and provide water repellant. Products that create a film on the wood surface will eventually peel off.
Deck Cleaning Steps:
1. Clean everything off the deck prior to deck cleaning
2. Protect flowers and bushes underneath
3. Sweep the deck clean before you wet it.
4. Repair broken , loose boards and set any high nails.
5. Mix your wood bleach, apply it, and let it sit for 10 minutes
6. Give the deck a thorough scrubbing.
7. Let the deck dry a few days before applying a penetrating sealer.