Tips to target harden your home
Many folks are concerned about home security but do not take the simple low cost, “low hanging fruit” measures that can make a measurable difference.
We put together 18 home security tips that can be done easily, check them out:
18 Home Security Tips
- Lock doors and windows (sliding doors – insert bar).
- Install quality deadbolts.
- Ensure that all first floor windows have working locks.
- Do not open the door to people you do not know (this includes doubts about utility workers – call police if in doubt).
- Remove “ladders” around your windows.
- Install a peephole in your door.
- Play “burglar” with your own home. Walk around it to look for vulnerable entry locations.
- Draw shades and/or curtains at night.
- If possible move valuables out of street-sight.
- Automatic motion floodlights are great!
- Keep lights at the doors on at night.If a light is out and someone knocks … be aware.
- Consider alarm systems / “Alarm stickers”.
- Ensure your house number is clearly visible and easily seen for responding emergency services.
- Answering machine messages (use “we” and not names or numbers).
- Bathroom light and radio left on.
- Have a vacation plan (ie; mail, auto light timers, trash, etc.).
- Never leave notes or messages on doors for delivery people.
- Have a plan for emergencies and practice them.