Key Points for Green Remodeling
Tackling any remodel is difficult, making it Eco-friendly is even more difficult.
Green remodeling or sustainable building combines water conservation, energy conservation and renewable energy technologies to create a proactive, passive (not passive solar) home.
Key points for green building also follow a building design to reduce the overall impact of the built environment on human health and the natural environment by:
- Efficiently using energy, water, and other resources
- Protecting occupant health and improving employee productivity
- Reducing waste, pollution and environmental degradation
Green remodeling refers to a structure and using process that is environmentally responsible and resource-efficient throughout a building’s life-cycle: from siting to design, construction, operation, maintenance, renovation, and demolition.
In order to do this properly every one involved in the design and building process needs to be on board.
Green architects tend to us passive building designs. Passive designs start with a careful design, using quality windows and copious amount of insulation, these houses need almost no heat at all.
- Non-toxic paints and sealants
- Programmable thermostats
- Energy efficient appliances
- Natural flooring
- Local building materials
- Natural fiber rugs and fabrics
- Recycled material roof shingles and tiles
- Energy efficient lighting
- Insulated hot water pipes
- Tank less water heaters
- Quality insulation
- Native plants for landscaping