Gas Fireplace Retrofit
Today we removed the gas insert and dismantled a few steel studs in order to slide some 2×4 nailers between them to provide a future nailing surface for a Gas fireplace and Mantle.
The photo below shows vertical and horizontal solid blocking was also added to accommodate nailing for the new mantel. without the blocking installing the mantle would be much more difficult.
Not shown but additional blocking was added higher up to accommodate a wall mounted t.v.
The old raised brick platform that supported the old gas insert was also removed. The new insert will sit at the finished floor height and be granite.
Gas fireplace and Mantle
After installing he blocking we were ready for the gas fireplace insert. The plumbers piped the gas line and installed the flue vent and and electrician made the electrical connections and also wired a manual switch on the side wall.
Blueboard and plaster was applied to the fireplace wall and then we installed an Algonquin fireplace mantle.
Our Algonquin brand “mantle in a box” arrived and was assembled. I would have preferred to custom make a mantle but this was a more cost effective option for our gas fireplace retrofit project.