Dewalt DWP611PK Compact Router Combo Kit
Dewalt DWP611PK Compact Router Combo Kit Review
Two months ago DEWALT sent me their Dewalt DWP611PK Compact Router Combo Kit to evaluate and review. Since then I have been using it all the time and really like it alot. Here is my review:
The first thing I noticed with the DWP611PK compact router was it’s size. It looks like an over-sized laminate trimmer. It’s smaller than a regular router but bigger than a trimmer.
The DWP611PK compact router combines is definetly compact, weighing only 10 .4 lbs it is easy to handle and has real nice ergonomic features and innovations designed for visibility, control and overall ease of use.
The DWP611PK router features a 1-1/4 peak HP motor that delivers enough power to do most shop and job-site routing functions. The variable speed control is a plus and a low, contoured gripping surface allowed me to have more control during routing applications.
The DWP611PK comes with an extended ¼-inch router collet. This extended router collet provides greater bit contact with the router bit shaft than traditional routers, allowing users less vibration. Which is a huge plus.
The depth adjusting mechanism on this router is a simple design and the the spindle lock has been designed to improve bit changes with the addition of a large button that can be actuated with the same hand that stabilizes the router, and the 12 motor shaft detentswork so the lock pin and shaft arenot more than 15 degrees from alignment.
One interesting and unusual addition to the router is the two LED lights at the bottom of the router housing.
- Durable 1.25HP motor delivers the power to meet the toughest applications
- Variable speed control feature enables bit speed to be optimized for changing applications
- Soft-starting motor features full-time electronic feedback that maintains motor speed through the cut
- Dual LED’s and clear sub-base ensure maximum visibility in operation
- Adjustment ring enables controlled bit depth changes to within 1/64″ (fixed base only)
- Plunge base incorporates fine-tune adjustment rod for precise depth setting
- Large, low-pressure spindle lock button allows for comfortable, single wrench bit changes
- Multiple shaft-lock detents enable quick and simple bit changes
- Depth ring and clamping mechanism combine to ensure motor remains locked in position (fixed base only)
- Spring-loaded release tabs allow for quick base removal (fixed base only)
- Motor can be transitioned quickly and easily between fixed and plunge bases
- Over-molded rubber handles provide a comfortable and secure grip (plunge base only)
- Allows up to 1.5″ of depth travel with standard base & 2″ with plunge base
- Aluminum motor housing and base construction provides long term durability
- Extended sub-base provides greater work surface contact for improved user control (fixed base)
- Large plunge base platform provides added stability for heavier applications and sub-base accepts universal template guides
- Extended 8-slot 1/4″ collet maximizes surface contact with router bit shank for a tighter grip
- DWP611 Soft-Sided Bag Collet Wrench Manual
Using the DEWALT- DWP611PK Compact Router Combo:
The Compact Router, which is available as a fixed base unit (DWP611) and a fixed/plunge base combination kit (DW611PK), merges the ergonomic features associated with trimmers and the power of full-size routers to deliver the performance and versatility building professionals require.
When I set up the tool it was very quick and easy to do. The snap lock collar on the router was easy to use and worked well. I was impressed how eay to change bits and bases. The dual LEDs provided me ample illumination of the work surface and of the extended ¼-inch router collet. I really liked that.
The router incorporates an electronic speed control feature that maintains speed when under load and offers a soft start feature to reduce torque at start-up. I found this to work smooth and keep contant power under load.
In my shop I put a 3/4 straight bit and datoed out a 1/2 deep dato through oak. The 1-1/4 peak HP router motor performed beautifully, no drag or lack of power was felt, seen or heard. I ran it through rounding over stock as well as other size dato’s and it really worked well.
For its size I was super impressed with this router. The variable speed control allows me to better manage the tool and determine the speed that was best suited for the application at hand. The on / off switch is protected by a heavy duty plastic cover which I originally thought was a great idea but it also was a bit difficult to use. I’m still used to the toggle type of switch.
The low, contoured grip that is close to the work surface also contributed to a better level of control of the tool.
I switched over to the plunge base which was easy to do and was done quickly as well. I ran the router ad plunge base through the same task’s. I worked great again the switch over was very easy.
At just over four pounds, the fixed base unit offers sufficient power to perform most small to medium routing applications while the plunge base (six pounds with motor included) provides a simple and accurate way to make interior cuts, such as flutes, inlays and mortises.
The Dewalt DWP611PK depth adjustments are simple and easy. I loved the locking ring, it is well designed and really smooth to operate. I used it with a simple dovetail jig and it was perfect for the job. It’s size made the task very easy.
Overall the Dewalt DWP611PK was easy to control.
What’s In The Box:
- DeWalt DWP611 1.25 HP Max Torque Variable Speed Compact Router
- DeWalt DNP612 Plunge Base for DWP611
- Fixed Base for DWP611
- Soft-Sided Bag Collet Wrench Manual
The product comes with a three-year limited warranty, one-year free service contract and 90-day money-back guarantee. Additionally, there are a number of accessories that are compatible with the product, including a dust adaptor for the fixed base (DNP615), a dust extractor for the plunge base (DNP616), a straight edge guide for the fixed base (DNP618), a straight edge and circle cutting guide for the plunge base (DW6913) and template guides (DW6188).
How Much and Where To Buy?
The Dewalt DWP611PK Compact Router Combo Kit can be purchased online for $174.00 here: DEWALT-DWP611PK-Torque-Variable-Compact
This review contains my opinion of a product. I take pride in providing my readers with an honest and objective information as well as a practical approach to using a product. I never accept payment in exchange for a positive review. Many of the tools and products are provided to for free by a manufacturer for review.