Cutting Deck Balusters
This week I was rebuilding a porch and needed to make 20 porch balusters all the same size. this article is about cutting deck balusters so they are all the exact same size!
Cutting Porch Balusters:
1. Make a stop block that is 2-3″ higher than the miter saw cutting table.
2. Screw your miter saw to the work bench table to keep it from moving.
3. Cut one porch baluster to the exact length desired.
4. Lower and lock down the miiter saw blade
5. Hold the cut baluster to the side of the lowered blade.
6. Screw the stop block at the other end of the cut porch baluster.
7. Unlock and raise the miter saw blade.
8. Square one side of a rough porch baluster on the side of the mitersaw without the stop block
9. Turn the porch baluster around place the fresh cut end into the stop block and cut the other end
Multiple Miter Saw Cuts:
This method is useful for making multiple same sized cuts. Your results will be consistently accurate with no measuring required.
If I used a tape measure and pencil on each one I would be taking a ton of time. Cutting 20 balusters is probable the minimal number I’d use this tip on.