Five Ways to Add Curb Appeal to Your Home
With the abundance of homes currently on the market, the buyer is king. Though home sales can be tough in this environment, there are several ways to stay ahead of the game, and it has everything to do with first impressions.
Think about a home – not just the rooms inside or the furniture, but what visitors see as they walk up to the front door. Homeowners tend to let their personalities shine through décor, furniture, paint color and the overall vibe of the home, so why would it stop there?
Below are “Five Curb Appeal Tips” to instantly increase curb appeal, adding overall value to a home:
1. Give the house a fresh coat of paint. Whether in the existing color or a different hue, exterior paint can make a big difference in a home’s overall look, giving a cleaner, newer appearance.
2. Take time to landscape. This could be as simple as pulling weeds and raking leaves, or as involved as replacing grass and planting new shrubs. Ideal plants for year-round beauty include Boxwood bushes, Azaleas, Knockout rose bushes and Juniper. Consider adding some annual plants for added color.
3. Wash all windows and clean out gutters. Use caution when using a ladder – hire a professional for optimal safety – and get rid of the leaves and pine needles that make a house look messy and unkempt.
4. Pressure wash the driveway. Again, a professional can help out with this, and plenty of home supply stores provide rental services for the pressure washer machinery. It’s amazing what a thorough wash can do to a driveway, leaving it clean and bright.
5. Invest in a new entry door. According to a recent story by Forbes, homeowners who renovate their entry with a new fiberglass door can recoup 65% of their investment in addition to improving their curb appeal. This is also a great way to differentiate the home while reflecting the homeowner’s personal style and taste.
Masonite offers a variety of unique entry doors, like the one pictured here.