Living With Your Parents!
I live in a multi-generational home that we remodeled for a handicap in-law. Many people these days are remodeling for in-laws and either bringing in their parents or moving in with them and taking over the house responsibilities.
According to an AARP survey, the number of multi-generational households has grown from 5 million in 2000 to 6.2 million in 2008.
BabyBoomers Expect In-Laws To Move In
Nearly a quarter of baby boomers expect that their parents or in-laws will move in with them.
Aging In Place Considerations
Remodeling For In-Laws
- two master bedrooms and baths
- first floor living and access
- handicap access or accommodations [i.e., grab bars, wider door ways, etc] , dual accessible laundry
- maybe thru a walk-in closet
- additional laundry rooms
- the addition of a small efficiency type kitchen
- additional parking or extra garage bay
- build in privacy for both parties