The folks at PORTER-CABLE recently sent me their 1 1/4 hp router fixed/ plunge combo kit [495PK] to evaluate.
Using The 495PK Router Kit:
The 495PK router has a real nice soft start motor and a variable speed that was super easy to dial in. It was super comfortable to use.
495PK Router Specifications:
- Compact, lightweight design enables comfortable and assured control in any routing application
- Durable 1.25HP motor delivers the power to meet the toughest applications
- Soft-starting motor features full-time electronic feedback that maintains motor speed through the cut
- Adjustment ring enables controlled bit depth changes to within 1/64″
- Large, low-pressure spindle lock button allows for comfortable, single wrench bit changes
- Multiple shaft-lock detents enable quick and simple bit changes
- Depth ring and clamping mechanism combine to ensure motor remains locked in position
- Plunge base incorporates fine-tune adjustment rod for precise depth setting
- Motor can be transitioned quickly and easily between fixed and plunge bases
- 5-position adjustable turret enables stepped or repeated plunge cuts
- Up to 1.5″ of depth travel with standard base and 2″ with plunge base
- Over molded rubber handles provide a comfortable and secure grip (plunge base only)
- Aluminum motor housing and base construction provides long term durability
- Large 4″ diameter sub-base accepts universal template guides (fixed base only)
- Large plunge base platform provides added stability for heavier applications and sub-base accepts universal template guides
- Extended 8-slot 1/4″ collet maximizes surface contact with router bit shank for a tighter grip
The Porter-Cable 1-1/4 HP Multi-Base Router Kit (495PK) is an excellent router and is perfect for trim jobs and custom cabinet work. I highly recommend this router to anyone needing a router. It’s a compact router that delivers mid-sized routing performance and power. The 495PK router has plenty of power, great adjustment control and it’s very versatile with the two base options. If you’re in the market for a 1-1/4 HP router I recommend you add this one to your tool box.
Bottom Line: This is a tool that every pro should have ~ plain and simple! Unless you are doing production routing this router delivers all that you need. The price alone would make me buy it, it’s a steal!
How Much And Where To Buy:
The Compact Router will retail for $129 and the Fixed/Plunge Base Combination Kit will retail for $189. Both come with a three-year limited warranty, one-year free service contract and 90-day money-back guarantee.
I found it online for $169.00 here: Porter-Cable-Compact-Router-Plunge
- A dust adapter for the fixed base(45003),
- A dust adapter for the plunge base (45004),
- A straight edge guide for the fixed base (45006),
- A straight edge and circle cutting guide for the plunge base (42690),
- template guides (42000)
- A centering cone for sub-base alignment (45005).
For more information, please visit http://www.deltaportercable.com.