PermaBase BRAND Cement Board
PermaBase® BRAND Cement Board is a rigid substrate made of Portland cement, aggregate and glass mesh that provides an exceptionally hard, durable surface and is able to withstand prolonged exposure to moisture.
PermaBase is a nice product to use as a backer board when installing tile. Using a solid and secure underlayment beneath tile is essential in order to achieve a quality looking, long lasting tile installations. I highly recommend using a tile backer board like PermaBase® BRAND Cement Board in all tile applications.
There are other brands of tile backer board. One brand that is popular is called "Durock." I like the PermaBase® BRAND Cement Board better because it is easier to cut and has a better edge treatment which allows the installer to nail / screw closer to the edge.
PermaBase® BRAND Cement Board has a competitive advantage over similar products on the market with its patented EdgeTech® technology. The tapered, reinforced edge design allows for closer nail or screw application to the edge. PermaBase® BRAND Cement Board does not crumble when inserting screws in this 3/4" space. It also reduces screw spin out.
Why might this be important?
It’s a reasonable question and the answer becomes important when installing a backerboard directly to wall framing. Wall studs typically measure 1-1/2" thick. When installing a backer board to a wall stud the edge ot eh board can only take up 3/4" of the wall stud to allow room for the other board.
Some benefits to using PermaBase® BRAND Cement Board is:
- Its resistance to the growth of mold and mildew achieving a panel score of 10, the highest possible, per ASTM D 3273.Highly moisture resistant, and will not rot, disintegrate or swell when exposed to water.
- Impact resistant, extremely durable and dimensionally stable.
- It has excellent overall flexible, compressive, and tensile strength characteristics.
Can be cut to size utilizing a standard utility knife and straight edge.
- GREENGUARD Certified
- PermaBase Cement Board is GREENGUARD Children & Schools Certified® for indoor air quality.
- A 1/2″ board qualifies as a 1 hour fire rated surface
- Has a smooth surface
- 30 Year Limited Warranty on PermaBase Interior Applications.
- 10-Year Limited Warranty on PermaBase Exterior Applications.
Areas that I find useful for a tile underlayment are:
- Underlayment or backing surface for tub and shower surrounds
- Counter tops and back splash walls
- Outdoor kitchen grills and counters
- Stucco applications under porches, sheds and out buildings with ground contact
- A variety of interior and exterior applications: such as stucco, whirl pools and out door kitchens.