Firestopping is required in multi-family residential and commercial construction wherever a fire-rated floor or wall separation is encountered.
During the construction process, penetrations are made through framing in order to accomodate electrical wires and cables, plumbing pipes, HVAC ducts, and other mechanical items. These penetrations violate the original integrity of the fire-rated floor/wall system allowing the passage of flame, smoke, and toxic gases to communicate to other areas of the building in the tragic event of a fire. Many jurisdictions allow the use of firestop insulating foam sealant as an accepted fireblocking material in these situations.
Fireblock Insulating Foam Sealant
Like many carpenters and remodelers I use what is locally available to me. My lumberyard carries DAP Fireblock Foam Polyurethane Foam Sealant. This fireblock insulating foam sealant is an easy way to provide fire protection by reducing air movement through wall, ceiling and other cavities in your home. Designed to be used to seal the annular space surrounding your vents, pipes, ducts, wires; wall-to-floor or ceiling-to-floor jointspipes, and cables in order to reduce the travel speed of flames, deadly gasses and toxic smoke.
As an added bonus it Fireblock Insulating Foam Sealant also seals air leaks which is a huge component in conserving energy, reduce drafts and saving on heating and cooling costs. This foam expands to fill, seal and insulate gaps up to 1/2 inch. Any holes larger and I recommend using mineral wool and then foam or installing blocking or metal flashing.
DAP Fireblock Foam Polyurethane Foam Sealant features:
DAP Fireblock Foam Polyurethane Foam Sealant is designed and accepted for use in Type V residential construction, the foam is bright orange for easy code identification and expands two to three times its size once dispensed from the can.
- Temp Range 40 to 115 F,
- Specific Gravity 1.2,
- Viscosity Foam,
- Functional Cure 12 to 24 Hours,
- Tack free in 6 minutes, trims in 30 minutes
- Insulation Value 4 to 5 per In, Substrates Wood, Metal, Plastic, Drywall, Concrete,
- Delivers A Draft Stop Barrier
- Fills, seals and insulates gaps up to ½ inch
- Impedes spread of fire and smoke through service penetrations
- Recognized as an Alternate Fireblocking material for residential construction
- Tested according to ASTM E84, ASTM E814 (modified), UL 1715
- Bright orange colored foam for easy code identification
- Seals service penetrations between floors
- Seals electrical runs through wall studs
- All-direction dispensing
- UL Classified