Cleaning Teak Furniture
Procedure For Cleaning Teak Furniture
- Try to work in the shade
- Apply your cleaning solution to the teak with a garden sprayer
- Spray the entire table, including the underside, and keep it wet with the solution for at least 15 minutes
- Using a nylon bristle brush, scrub the mixture into the wood and across the grain. If you scrub with the grain, it can tear the wood fibers, leaving the surface rough and vulnerable to the elements.
- A green scrubbing pad works well in nook and crannies where the brush can not reach
- Work in sections small enough that the solution will not dry. Leave the mixture on the wood for 15 minutes, and scrub on more solution to areas that begin drying during this time.
- Rinse the teak with clean. Use a soft-bristled brush as you rinse to remove any residual stubborn dirt.
- Allow the teak to dry for about 24 hours. If it is still dark or stained, mix 1/2 cup of oxalic acid into a gallon of hot water and apply to the wood with a nylon scrubber.
- Let the mixture sit for about 10 to 20 minutes and then rinse and repeat if staining is still present.
- Let the wood dry 24 to 36 hours before applying protective oils.
How To Clean Teak Video