Site icon Concord Carpenter

2009 Home Improvement Tax Credit

2011 Energy Efficient Tax Credit

 2009 Home Improvement Tax Credit Forms

As a carpenter doing window and door installations I get alot of questions about how to claim the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 federal tax credit.In order to make this claim you will need to fill out two forms and save the following documentation:

1. Form 5695:

Part I of Claim Form:

The first section addresses insulation, windows, doors, roofs, HVAC, biomass stoves, and non-solar water heaters. The tax credit for these products is 30%, up to a total of $1,500. Homeowners can take part of the $1,500 in 2009 and the rest in 2010 if they are for separate purchases. The instructions for lines 2a to 2d and 3a to 3c list the specific requirements for each type of credit a homeowner can claim, as does the Energy Star website ( For example, an electric heat pump that has an HSPF of at least 9, a SEER of at least 15, and an EER of at least 13. Or windows with a U-factor of 0.30 or less and an SHGC of 0.30 or less.

Part II of Claim Form:

The second section addresses geothermal heat pumps, solar panels, solar water heaters, small wind-energy systems, and fuel cells. The tax credit for these products is 30% with no upper limit. Unused credit can be carried forward through 2016. Taxpayers should add the total from this section (line 27) and Part I (line 11) and place the total on line 29 of form 5695.

Part III of Claim Form:

Transfer amount from line 29 of form 5695 to line 52 of the 1040 form

2. IRS Form 1040:

Fill in line 52.

3. Save the manufacturers product certification and receipts. You DO NOT have to submit them.

If you enjoyed this post, please consider commenting or subscribing to receive my future posts via email

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!
Exit mobile version